Essential oils are some of the most powerful and oldest therapeutic agents known. They are distilled from the different parts of the plant such as the leaf, root, flower, seed, and limbs. They are, in their pure state, some of the most natural concentrated extracts known and can penetrate the cell membranes rapidly, enhance cellular function, and travel throughout the blood and tissue within the human body. They are tiny molecules with specific functions within the body.
There are 3 different ways to use essential oils.
Using essential oils aromatically can uplift the spirit.
- Rub 2-3 drops of essential oil between your palms and inhale. Rubbing your hands together gets the molecules of the oils moving. The molecules will absorb into your skin and then you can inhale over and over again for a longer period of time. You can also just inhale the oils straight out of the bottle – however – oxidation will cause your oils to evaporate into the air and so opening your essential oil bottles often will make them disappear faster. This is a good option if you are in a place where you need the benefit of the oil to yourself but might not want the scent to be lingering on you.
- You can use an essential oil diffusing bracelet, necklace or earrings. You just apply some drops to the diffusing pad, lava stone, leather, or whatever means your specific piece of jewelry uses to hold the essential oil and then you can inhale the oil throughout the day.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and bowl with a towel. Breathe deeply and slowly.
- Use your favorite essential oils in a cold mist diffuser.
- Incorporate essential oils into your household cleaners so that the scent of them lingers within your home.
Many essential oils are safe and beneficial to use directly on the skin.
- Essential oils are very potent and some people’s skin can be sensitive to them. It is best to “test” your skin if you know you have sensitive skin. This is accomplished by applying a drop of essential oil to the skin on the inside of your forearm. Give the oil at least a half hour and see if any redness or sensitivity occurs. If so – not all is lost – you want to dilute the oil with a carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, any fatty acid oil). Diluting an essential oil will not affect the efficacy of the oil. It will just help your skin not be sensitive to the oil. Also, using a carrier oil helps if you have a large area to apply the oil to.
- Place 2-3 drops of essential oil directly on the desired area and massage in. Repeat as desired. Because essential oils are from live plants, they have an energy. Once applied to the body the oils will go through your body to do what they are designed to do. However, like anything that is live, after a period of time their energy will be spent and they will no longer be functioning. Therefore, if you are trying to boost a specific body system, it is best to apply throughout the day to get the best results.
- There are some oils (Citrus-based) and blends that are photosensitive for a period of time after applying them to the skin. Therefore, if you know you are going out in the sun, you want to be sure that you apply those oils onto skin that will not be exposed to the sun’s rays for that period of time. A great option is on the bottom of the feet.
When taking essential oils internally – first and foremost be sure they are pure therapeutic grade and try these tips.
- Place several drops of oil into a vegetable or gelatin capsule and swallow with plenty of water. Some oils are considered hot and you will want to add a carrier oil to in the capsule so that the essential oil mixes with the fatty acid oil and won’t be hot once it hits your stomach.
- Add desired drops of essential oil to a glass of water, juice, yogurt, your smoothie, or plant-based milk and drink. When using essential oils in a liquid that you drink – it is best to drink from a glass or stainless container. The oils can can destroy a plastic vessel because they go after toxins and plastic can have toxins. This goes for using a straw as well – make it a stainless one.
- Add essential oils to the food you are cooking. Since essential oils don’t like high heat, add the oils right before you serve the food. Also, some of the oils like Oregano are so strong that you want to dip a toothpick into the essential oil and then swirl the toothpick into your sauce or dish. It’s always best to start out small and then add more if you haven’t achieved the desired taste.
You want to check the individual product labels for usage directions.
Being a wholesale distributor with Young Living – we have a wonderful community that we can get all kinds of support with our healthier lifestyle journey. I have met some of the most wonderful people through my journey so far. One person that I have gotten to know – through the magic of the internet – is Dr. Jim Bob Haggerton, from Texas. He and his wife are Chiropractors there. Dr. JB is crazy smart about the different systems of the body. However, he explains them in a way that anyone can understand. The best part…..he willingly shares his knowledge with others….for FREE. There is a newer Social Media forum called Periscope. Anyone can do a live video and people who are following you can watch this live video while you are taping it, as well as, for 24 hours after it has aired. While watching the person who is taping the live video – you can type in questions or comments to the person taping. Dr. JB has done over 200 Periscopes. The best part about him is that he then puts them up on YouTube so you can watch them over and over again….or like I do….you can start and stop the video so you can take notes. I tell you about the Periscoping so if you do go onto YouTube and look up Dr. Jim Bob Haggerton and check out some of his videos there…..you won’t think he is schizophrenic because he is talking to people that aren’t there. He is actually reading and responding to the people on his Periscope. I just watched a recent video that Dr. JB did called “Why Essential OIls”. The information that he gives is incredible. It is common knowledge that our overall health is tied to how healthy is our gut. The foods we eat, the schedules we keep, the stress we are under, and the lack of intentional movement is causing our bodies to break down. Even those of us that are trying to eat more healthy organic food, take supplements, minerals, and enzymes the chance of us getting 100% benefit from all of that is not very high because most people’s digestive system is messed up. Why? Because when we stress our digestive system’s performance goes down. So by using our essential oils topically and aromatically allows the essential oils to go into our bodies and you will get the benefit no matter what condition your digestive system is in.
Essential oils are fat soluble. There is a thin fatty lipid bilayer under the top layer of skin. So when you apply the essential oils topically that thin layer of fat sucks the essential oils right in and they get to the bloodstream quickly to do what they are supposed to do within the body. Did you know it only takes 20 minutes for an essential oil that is applied topically to go into the bloodstream – do it’s thing – change the frequency in your cells and then be filtered out? Amazing. That is why it is important to apply essential oils throughout the day to help support the body and bring the systems into a normal healthy state. Dr. JB always says “support systems….stop treating symptoms”. Think about it – before the early 1900 – people knew their plants and herbs and how to take care of the family’s ills. The local doctor was only for emergencies. However, the U.S. pharmaceutical industry began to build. These medicines are an artificial fix or create a synthetic change to the body. That is why you take them once or twice a day. These medications are driving the body toward a direction that it wouldn’t go on it’s own. For example – blood pressure medication drives blood pressure down (or up) whichever is needed. It’s just what it does. Essential oils help the body work better.
The cell particles in essential oils are so tiny and so potent they can cross through the lining in the blood vessels and the capillaries and they can get through the blood brain barrier and can affect the body quicker.
Essential oils can also cross the blood brain barrier. The blood brain barrier is a literal barrier of blood between the body and brain. It is a coating of blood around the nervous system and it keeps toxins and junk out and keep it from affecting the brain. The cell particles in essential oils are so tiny and so potent they can cross through the lining in the blood vessels and the capillaries and they can get through the blood brain barrier and can affect the body quicker.
Essential oils work off of frequencies. Every single living thing has a different vibrational frequency. Plants, water, every different type of cells in your body (skin, liver, stomach cells). Because each different plant has a different frequency and you take some of these different oils inside you the frequencies from the plants match the frequencies of the cells in the body. Through the research that Young Living’s founder Gary Young and others have done – we now know – each cell in the body had a different frequency and we can match those frequencies to the ones in different plants to help support that part of the body to make specific changes and based on that were able to make different blends to help support the body systems so they can move toward normal and healthy.
Essential oils are adaptogenic. This means they can change and adapt to what your body needs because it is a natural substance. This is one of the main things that separates essential oils from medication. Essential oils adapts to the body because it is a living thing. It’s part of the plant and when you use therapeutic grade essential oils, like Young Living, they will help your body work better. All this to say that lavender can calm me down. However, if you use lavender it might give you good energy. Lavender, like all essential oils, will adapt to meet the individual needs of each person. The other part of adaptogenics is that the essential oil isn’t going to go past what the body needs. Meaning if you are supporting a certain system in the body the essential oils will bring your system up if it is low and bring it down if it is high. The body will stop when it has had enough. The frequency will stop and the body will stop accepting it. Essential oils create balance and levels in the middle to help keep you normal and healthy.
When you apply essential oils to your body you are using therapy localization. This is a neurological phenomenon that signals the brain that you want it to work harder on the spot being touched. Immediately, the brain will rush blood to the area, it will start opening up the blood vessels in that area, and turn the nerves on to that area. That is also referred to as the “healing touch”. If you want to support a specific organ of the body then apply the essential oils to where that organ is located. Now the essential oils won’t just go into that organ through the skin. It will wake your brain up and remind it to work on that area.
Essential oils also clean receptor sites. A receptor site is found at the nerve endings. Each nerve ending sends and receives signals from and to the brain, as well as, the part of the body they are attached to. When we are stressed the nerve endings can get coated and gunked up. This causes your signals, from and to the brain and from and to the places that the nerve endings are attached to, to slow down. There are constituents or parts of essential oils called monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes that will cleanse the receptor sites and allow normal signalling.
Essential oils are safe and easy to use and are effective if they are therapeutic grade essential oils. Use a little bit and see how it makes you and your family feel. If you feel safer – dilute your essential oils until you get used to them. Diffuse them and start out with a couple of drops to get used to them then increase the amount of drops you are using in your diffuser.
Essential oils need multiple applications throughout the day. Like I said in the explanation of how to use essential oils above – since these are live, natural, potent oils – if you are supporting your body you will have to apply the oils throughout the day to continue to bring a system to normal healthy function. All essential oils do is help you adapt to stress and help your body do what it was created to do on a daily basis. What I went over was a recap from Dr. Jim Bob’s “Why Essential Oils” video that you can go to YouTube and watch in it’s entirety.
Nothing will cure dis-ease. We can only help the system that has been compromised so that it can do the job that it was designed to do.
I hope this was helpful. If we want to “Live Normal, Live Healthy, Live Life” we have to work together. If you need any help or have any questions – please feel free to contact me. I hope you have a day that is filled with abundance, purpose, and wellness! Love ya!